I’m looking forward to seeing all of you on Wednesday!
Unit Introduction and What You Will Learn
Week four is a continuation of laying the groundwork for this course. It is focused on providing an overview of the helping process. The Hepworth et al. (2022) text formats the helping process into three phases.
- Phase 1: Exploration, Engagement, Assessment, and Planning
- Phase II: Implementation and Goal Attainment
- Phase III: Evaluation and Termination
During the session, we will be examining an overview of considerations we should have in each of the phases. We will also be looking at how we set the environment with our clients and what the interviewing process looks like. Finally, we will spend some time discussing some potential ethical dilemmas. The agenda is:
- Overview of the three phases of the helping process
- Setting the environment
- Interviewing clients
- Practice with ethical dilemmas
Attend class and complete the reading quiz
In talking about rapport and connection with clients, we review Leach (2015) to understand some of the strategies and behaviors that improve client trust. You can read the paper:
I publish all of the presentations for this course at presentations.jacobrcampbell.com. This weeks presentation, Fall 2022 SOWK 486w Week 04 - Overview of the Helping Process
Hepworth, D. H., Vang, P. D., Blakey, J. M., Schwalbe, C., & Evans, C. (2022). Empowerment Series: Direct Social Work Practice Theory and Skills (11th ed.). Cengage Learning, Inc.
Leach, M. J. (2005). Rapport: A key to treatment success. Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, 11(4), 262–265. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctcp.2005.05.005
To Do Lists
- A-01: Class Engagement: Participate in Class Wednesday at 5:30 PM
- Read Chapters three and four of the Hepworth et al. (2022) text.
- Optionally Read: Leach, M. J. (2005)
- W-04 A-02 for Hepworth et al. (2022) Chapter(s) 03 and 04 is due at 5:30 PM before class via My Heritage