Hey, I hope you are all enjoying this class so far and looking forward to the content this week.
Unit Introduction and What You Will Learn
In week six, we will start a six-week process of an in-depth review of the social worker’s ethical standards. The first group of standards is what the expectations social workers have towards their clients. We will also start a process of looking through each of the social worker’s values and expressing how it can relate to our lives.
Week 6 Objectives:
- Understand the value of Service and provide an example from the student’s life that illustrates the principle.
- Describe several examples of the ethical standards under Commitment to Clients in the NASW Code of Ethics.
A–01: Asynchronous Participation and Engagement
For week six, you need to create at least two replies in the forums and post a video to the Flip video discussion forum.
- The most significant part of the work this week is engaging with the NASW Code of Ethics and the social workers’ ethical responsibilities to clients. There are 17 different standards, most of which include lettered sub-standards. For this activity, students should select a sub-standard that other students have not written about. In the forum for that standard, you can post a reply discussing the importance of the standard, describing gray areas that might exist, and/or illuminating the implication for clients if the standard is not followed. Please indicate the standard you are writing about, so everybody knows which sub-standards have been discussed (e.g., “In Standard 1.03 (b)…”). The forums for these standards are 1.01 Commitment to Clients, 1.02 Self-Determination, 1.03 Informed Consent, 1.04 Competence, 1.05 Cultural Competence, 1.06 Conflicts of Interest, 1.07 Privacy and Confidentiality, 1.08 Access to Records, 1.09 Sexual Relationships, 1.10 Physical Contact, 1.11 Sexual Harassment, 1.12 Derogatory Language, 1.13 Payment for Services, 1.14 Clients Who Lack Decision-Making Capacity, 1.15 Interruption of Services, 1.16 Referral for Services, 1.17 Termination of Services)
- Chapter 2 Reading Discussion gives a space where students can discuss the textbook readings.
- When you have a question about something in class, very likely you are not the only one. The forum Questions Regarding A-02: Bias Reflection Worksheet provides a space for us to discuss next week’s assignment and answer anything you are unsure about.
- All students are to post a flip video about service. You can see the forum post Flip Video: The Ethical Principal of Service or view the activity directly on Flip W-06: The Ethical Principal of Service.
The text of the National Association of Social Workers (2021) Code of Ethics is included in the forum posts but can also be found online. Although the Reamer (2018a) textbook is based on the 2017 version of the code of ethics, most of it is the same.
See it here: NASW Code of Ethics
The lecture video for this week is Fall 2022 SOWK 430 Week 06 - Implicit Bias and Ethical Standards to Clients
The information for A-02: Bias Reflection Worksheet is all uploaded. You have a forum you can ask any question about this assignment. You can see my handout with the assignment description and grading rubric, the worksheet you will complete Bias Reflection Worksheet.docx, and the assignment on My Heritage to turn it in.
- Read Reamer (2018) either one
- Watch my lecture video, Fall 2022 SOWK 430 Week 06 - Implicit Bias and Ethical Standards to Clients
- Post two replies in any of the following: 1.01 Commitment to Clients, 1.02 Self-Determination, 1.03 Informed Consent, 1.04 Competence, 1.05 Cultural Competence, 1.06 Conflicts of Interest, 1.07 Privacy and Confidentiality, 1.08 Access to Records, 1.09 Sexual Relationships, 1.10 Physical Contact, 1.11 Sexual Harassment, 1.12 Derogatory Language, 1.13 Payment for Services, 1.14 Clients Who Lack Decision-Making Capacity, 1.15 Interruption of Services, 1.16 Referral for Services, 1.17 Termination of Services), Chapter 2 Reading Discussion, Questions Regarding A-02: Bias Reflection Worksheet
- Post a flip video W-06: The Ethical Principal of Service (or see in My Heritage Forums)
- Read all of the threads