I hope that all of you have had a wonderful Winter Break and are all well. I figured I would start our first week off with an email to everybody. Remember, last semester you selected what email address you wanted to receive these emails from for these emails. If you are new to my classes (as we have a few new students), you can fill in the form Spring 2021 SOWK 487 Data Collection Form. If are new, it helps me get what name you would like to be called (I try my best), offers a phone number in case you call/text me so I know who it is, and select different email address that you would like to use for these. If you have already filled out this form last semster you do not need to, unless you would like to update any information.
I look forward to seeing all of you on Wednsday at 5:30. The link for the class session is on the main page of the MyHeritage course.
Unit Introduction and What You Will Learn
Week 01 for Theories of Practice II is all about understanding the format of the class, reviewing the syllabus, and generally getting started for the semester. Theories of Practice II premise is connecting philosophies of practice for working with therapeutic and task groups, as well as with families.
The agenda for this week is as follows:
- Initial activity
- Discuss class
- Review syllabus
You are encouraged to check out the 2021 Spring SOWK 487 Course Syllabus.
During many of the classes this semester, you will need things. In general, as I have facilitated this class over the years, it has always been in person. I generally provide any supplies that are needed. Because this is a groups class, it has always been my goal to provide you with activities that you could in the future implement with groups of your own. My intention is to try to adapt as many of these to an online format and then talk about how you could facilitate them in person. Each week in this email, if there are things you need, I will list them here. If you are unable to obtain any of the items, it is ok. They should not be expensive items, but I don’t want these activities to make anybody feel like it is a strain. Please do not worry if you do not get the items (or even forget), but I hope it is useful. This week, the only thing you need is
- Some M&M’s. Generally, any candies or items that are red, green, yellow, orange, brown, and blue. Furthermore, a partial package will serve our purpose.
The presentation slides can be viewed through Notist on my website, where you can download them and follow along during class.
A-01: Synchronous Class Engagement
A-02: Asynchronous Class Engagement
Meta: Points 5 points (1.25% of your final grade); Deadline Sunday 01/17/21 at 11:55 PM; Completion via Flipgrid
Purpose: To provide an informal introduction of students to the SOWK 487 Course. I know many of you had me last semester, but some students were not in my section the previous semester. I think that it will be productive to re-introduce ourselves.
- Add yourself to Flipgrid class section: Go to https://flipgrid.com/2021sowk487. Select to login using a “Microsoft Account” and use your Heritage University email address.
- Record a short introduction and information about yourself on the topic W-01 “Group Introduction”
- Talk about who you are, why you are interested in studying social work, and what type of social work/population you are interested in
Criterion for Success: Students will record a short video telling about themselves.
- A-01: Synchronous Class Engagement Attend class
- A-02: Asynchronous Class Engagement Group Introduction due Sunday 01/17/21 at 11:55 PM via Flipgrid
- Read the course syllabus and note any questions you might have