Unit Introduction and What You Will Learn
We are getting close to the end of the semester. This week, we are discussing supervision. Our learning objectives for week 13 week are:
- Discuss the role the value competence has in our lives
- Understand models of supervision
- Develop an initial plan for supervision in field practicum
- Explore the Use of self as an important tool in social work practice
- Read Ketner et al., (2017)
- Read Barsky (2013)
- Watch my lecture video, Fall 2022 SOWK 430 Week 13 - Supervision
- Listen to Sobota (2008)
A–01: Asynchronous Participation and Engagement
For week 13, you must create at least two replies in the forums and post a video to the Flip video discussion forum.
- There are three forums that are open for you to participate in one that is looking at Barsky’s (2013) post with some Case Studies on Supervision, and the second look at Ketner et al. (2017) and consider how students often think about and can engage in Preparing for Supervision. Finally, there is a forum for you to discuss the assigned podcast and reported on models of supervision.
- Students are to complete the flip video, which can directly be completed at W-13: Competence (or see it in the forum Flip Video: The Ethical Principle of Competence)
Another great social work focused podcast is In Social Work, from the University of Buffalo. This episode isn’t on the current iteration of their podcast, and is actually from when they called their show “Living Proof.” I had thought they weren’t active anymore, but their feed changed about a year ago. You can scroll through their archives and see a number of great episodes. This episode only available on their website. You should check out the current iteration of the podcast and subscribe if you are interested. You can find it on Apple Podcast App or the Google Podcast App. The episode I’m having you listen to this week was published in 2008 by Sobota, which is titled “Episode 5 - Dr. Lawrence Shulman: Models of Supervision: Parallel Processes and Honest Relationships.”
Barsky, A. E. (2013). Ethics Alive! Ethical concerns in social work field supervision. The New Social Worker. https://www.socialworker.com/feature-articles/ethics-articles/ethics-alive-ethics-in-social-work-field-supervision/
Ketner, M., Cooper-Bolinskey, D., & VanCleave, D. (2017). The meaning and value of supervision in social work field education. Field Educator: Boston, 7(2), 1-18.
Sobota, P. (2008, October 20) Episode 5 - Dr. Lawrence Shulman: Models of supervision: Parallel processes and honest relationships [Audio Podcast Episode]. In Social Work. https://www.insocialwork.org/episode-5-dr-lawrence-shulman-models-of-supervision-parallel-processes-and-honest-relationships/.
- Read Ketner et al., (2017), Barsky (2013), watch Fall 2022 SOWK 430 Week 13 - Supervision, and listen to Sobota (2008)
- Make at least two forum replies across any of the forums: Case Studies on Supervision, Preparing for Supervision, and Podcast: Models of Supervision.
- Complete a flip video W-13: Competence