Sorry to get this out to everybody a little bit later then I would really like to, but I hope that everything is well organized and easy for everybody to follow and know exactly what to do for week four. Have a wonderful week, I’ve been enjoying going through this class so far with everybody.
What you will learn for week four
Week four, we move away from looking at the history and law around disability and start to understand identity development. This week you will read Rothman’s (2018) chapter seven which provides a good overview of disability and identity. The objectives for weeks four include the following:
- Learn a theoretical model of identity development as it relates to disability.
- Apply the theoretical model to the activist you follow on Twitter.
- Begin to explore some birth defects.
- Read Rothman’s (2018) chapter seven Disability and Identity Development
- Watch my Lecture Video - SOWK 322 Week 04 - Developmental Theory in the Context of Disability
- Read Botto et al. (2017) and their Birth Defects Descriptions for NBDPN Core to be able to participate in the forum Initial Exposure to Birth Defects and Conditions
- Consider watching the videos included in the unit resources, including Heather Evan’s 2018 TEDx talk Uncovering: an Empowering Pathway to Disability Identity and Gaelynn Lea TEDx Talk 2017 TEDx talk Sexuality and Disability: Forging Identity in a World that Leaves You Out so you can comment on there or share other examples with your peers in the forum Other Voices in Disability Identity to Showcase
A–01: Asynchronous Participation and Engagement
Students are to make at least three replies across any four open forums this week. Remember, the expectation is to read all of the posts. Your responses can include another student’s reply if you contribute something substantial to the discussion. Be sure to post on two separate days to show engagement. The following are the four forums this week:
- The forum, Chapter Discussion Regarding Disability and Identity, provides five different potential discussion questions that are also framed in chapter seven of the textbook.
- The Initial Exposure to Birth Defects and Conditions forum helps introduce students to the nine categories of congenital disabilities.
- To help keep on focus and attention watching the Twitter activist you are following for A-04: Analysis of Activist Work on Social Media, the forum Your Twitter Activist and Identity Development gives an avenue to share how they talk about their identity.
- Finally, the forum Other Voices in Disability Identity to Showcase allows students to find other persons with disabilities and share how they present and talk about their identity.
Rothman’s (2017) chapter seven provides an excellent overview of understanding disability identity. I would also encourage you to look at a couple of other sources. To provide you with a couple of examples, I am providing you with Evans’s (2018) talk, where she describes her concept of uncovering (TEDx Talks, 2018).
In her 2017 TEDx Talk, Lea provides a powerful example of feeling left out of mainstream culture due to her physical disability and how she was able to forge her own identity.
In my lecture video, SOWK 322 Week 04 - Developmental Theory in the Context of Disability, I briefly relate Mackelprang and Salsgiver (2016) theory of human development and disability to a couple of client examples I have had over the years.
You can view any of my decks at https://presentations.jacobrcampbell.com/, or SOWK 322 Week 04 - Developmental Theory in the Context of Disability
This week, we also will be starting to examine birth defects. The National Birth Defects Prevention Network website provides useful information about birth defects.
Botto, L., Carey, J., Cassell, C., Colarusso, T., Cragan, J., Feldkamp, M., Frias, M, Lin, A., Mai, A., Olney, R., Stanton, C., & Siffel, C. (2017) Appendix 3.1 - Birth defects descriptions for NBDPN core, recommended, and extended conditions. https://www.nbdpn.org/docs/Appendix_3_1_BirthDefectsDescriptions_2017MAR24.pdf
Mackelprang, R., & Salsgiver, R. (2016). Chapter 2 - Human development and disability. In Disability: A diversity model approach in human service practice (3rd ed., pp. 37-96). Oxford University Press.
Rothman, J. (2018). Social work practice across disability (2nd ed.). Routledge.
TEDx Talks (2017, January 18) Sexuality and disability: Forging identity in a world that leaves you out / Gaelynn Lea / TEDxYale [Video]. YouTube. https://youtu.be/akGYugciSVw
TEDx Talks (2018, July 16) Uncovering: an Empowering pathway to disability identity / Heather Evans / TEDxUofW. [ Video] YouTube. https://youtu.be/WQsA_ItnGeg
To Do List
- Read Rothman (2018) Chapter 7.
- Watch my lecture video - SOWK 322 Week 04 - Developmental Theory in the Context of Disability
- Read/watch the content and make at least three replies across any of the four discussion forums for week four, which includes: Chapter Discussion Regarding Disability and Identity, Initial Exposure to Birth Defects and Conditions, Your Twitter Activist and Identity Development, and Other Voices in Disability Identity to Showcase.