I hope that you are all doing well. I think class today should be a good one.
To be prepared for class, you should complete the weekly reading prior to class this week. This week the reading is:
- Garvin et al (2017) Chapters 9-11
The reading this week reviewed three different approaches for group work related to purpose. These were:
- Self-Help and Support Groups: Very related to the conversation we had regarding mutual aid groups and those concepts.
- Psychoeducation Groups: groups which are trying to either provide education, skill acquisition, and or self-knowledge.
- Prevention Groups: applying prevention concepts to a wide range of problems.
Today I want to spend time talking some about out prevention groups and psycho educational groups.
The agenda is:
- Psychoeducational groups
- Public Health Framework
- Other prevention frameworks and models
- Designing a school based intervention
The presentation slides can be viewed through Notist on my website, where you can download them and follow along during class.
The presentation slides for last week can also be viewed:
We talked about Grounding Techniques in class. This comes from Lisa M. Najavits (2002) workbook on seeking safety. Winona State University offers a helpful worksheet that discusses the skills. You can see the Grounding Worksheet.
I also shared in class the curriculum that I adapted called the Dragon Slayers Trauma Focused Teen / Pre-Teen Group Curriculum, and you can look at that as well.