Unit Introduction and What You Will Learn
Week nine is our last week focusing on the different statutes listed in the NASW code of ethics. These statutes include responsibilities that social workers have is to our profession as social workers and to society itself.
This week we are covering:
- Ethical Standards 5 & 6
- Values: The Importance of Human Relationships
- Reamer (2018a) chapters six and seven or Reamer (2018b) chapter five, depending on your textbook.
- Watch my lecture video Fall 2022 SOWK 430 Week 09: School Social Worker Week.
A–01: Asynchronous Participation and Engagement
For week nine, you must create at least two replies in the forums and post a video to the Flip video discussion forum.
- This week’s most significant engagement with the forums is related to engaging with the NASW Code of Ethics and the social workers’ ethical responsibilities to the social work profession or society. There are seven different standards, most of which include lettered sub-standards. For this activity, students should select a sub-standard that other students have not written about. In the forum for that standard, you can post a reply discussing the importance of the standard, describing gray areas that might exist, and/or illuminating the implication for clients if the standard is not followed. Please indicate the standard you are writing about, so everybody knows which sub-standards have been discussed (e.g., “In Standard 5.01 (b)…”). First, there is social workers’ ethical responsibilities to the social work profession: 5.01 Integrity of the Profession, 5.02 Evaluation and Research. Second, is social workers’ ethical responsibilities to the broader society: 6.01 Social Welfare, 6.02 Public Participation, 6.03 Public Emergencies, 6.04 Social and Political Action
- Week 09 and Readings Reflections gives an optional space where students can discuss the textbook readings if they desire.
- All students are to post a flip video about the importance of human relationships. You can see the forum post Flip Video: The Ethical Principle of the Importance of Human Relationships or view the activity directly on Flip W-09: Importance of Human Relationships.
Make sure you are reading the rest of your class mates posts as well.
You can find the NASW Code of Ethics.
My lecture video can be found at Fall 2022 SOWK 430 Week 09: School Social Worker Week.
National Association of Social Workers. (2021). NASW code of ethics. https://www.socialworkers.org/About/Ethics/Code-of-Ethics/Code-of-Ethics-English
Reamer, F. G. (2018a). Social work values and ethics (foundations of social work knowledge) (5th ed.). Columbia University Press.
Reamer, F. G. (2018b). Ethical standards in social work: A review of the NASW code of ethics (3rd ed.). NASW Press.
- Read your textbook readings
- Watch my lecture video Fall 2022 SOWK 430 Week 09: School Social Worker Week
- Complete two replies across any of the forums
- 5.01 Integrity of the Profession, 5.02 Evaluation and Research, 6.01 Social Welfare, 6.02 Public Participation, 6.03 Public Emergencies, 6.04 Social and Political Action, Week 09 and Readings Reflections
- Complete a flip video W-09: Importance of Human Relationships.