Have a great week, and I’ll see you all next week. Let me know if I can help with anything.
Unit Introduction and What You Will Learn
Ethical practice and program evaluation is the theme for week three of SOWK 460w. This week is asynchronous, so there is no in-person class. Students will complete the CITI research ethics and compliance training. This week’s reading from Kapp and Anderson (2010) includes two chapters (three and four), and they are focused on the code of ethics and applying ethical concepts to real-life situations. Students will also complete a reading quiz over those chapters and be able to respond to group discussions via the forums. The learning objectives for this week include the following:
- Demonstrate knowledge of essential human subjects’ research topics for social-behavioral-educational researchers.
- Apply the code of ethics to program evaluation
- Understand potential ethical challenges to program evaluation
- Read Kapp and Anderson’s (2010) chapter three Ethics and Program Evaluation: Applying a Code of Ethics to Field-Based Research and chapter four Ethical Challenges for Evaluators in an Agency Setting: Making Good Choices.
A-01: Class Engagement and Attendance
This week, there are three forums for students to write replies. Two replies are required this week. Replies can be to the prompt in the forum or to one of your peers. Your replies are expected to have enough information to engage in a meaningful discussion and share information/ideas. The following are the forums for week three:
- Along with completing the reading quiz, the forum Chapter Discussion Questions offers questions to delve further into the readings for this week.
- I have published a number of my research papers, and some have Examples of Informed Consent. In this forum, I provide some links to these and offer an opportunity to draw connections to the best practices for informed consent described in your textbook.
- I want students to engage with program evaluation to get a feel for examples of them. In the forum Published Program Evaluations, you can find and write a summary of a program evaluation to share with your peers.
A-02: Chapter Reading Quizzes
Complete W-03 A-02 for Kapp and Anderson (2010) chapter(s) 03 and 04 by Sunday 02/04/24
A-03: CITI Research Ethics and Compliance Training
Purpose: Students learn and demonstrate knowledge of essential human subjects’ research topics for social-behavioral-educational researchers.
Task: Heritage University’s Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative’s (CITI) Research Ethics and Compliance Training program introduces issues such as informed consent, human subjects’ protection, privacy, and confidentiality for students involved in research involving no more than “minimal risk.” To complete the CITI training, go to http://www.citiprogram.org/ and follow these instructions:
- Click on “Register” in the upper right-hand corner.
- Enter “Heritage” as your organization’s affiliation.
Fill out the remaining information through Step 6:
a. username, password, security question
b. no CME/CEU credits
c. answering the professional certification study guide question and course survey is optional
d. institutional email, department, role in research: student researcher-undergraduate
When you get to Step 7 of the registration process, do the following:
a. For Question 1 on “Human Subjects Research,” select “Social & Behavioral Educational (SBE) course: Choose the option “to satisfy CITI training requirements for Investigators and staff involved primarily in research with human subjects.”
b. For Question 2, select “Not at this time.”
c. Do not select anything for Question 3.
d. For Question 4, select “No.”
e. For Question 5, select “No.”
- When your registration is complete, Social & Behavioral Educational (SBE) will be in the courses “ready to begin” section.
Click “Start Now.”
a. Complete all 12 modules required courses to achieve certification. You do not need to complete any of the supplemental modules.
- You may upload a copy of the completion certificate in the course assignment in MyHeritage. You may also navigate to the records section of the website and take/upload a screenshot showing that the course has been completed.
Students can find additional support and information on Heritage University’s Institution Review Board (https://researchcompliancehu.com)
Success: Students will complete the CITI Social & Behavioral Educational (SBE) course. They will upload a copy of their certificate (or a screenshot showing completion/grade assigned) to MyHeritage assignments. Grades for this assignment will be completed by mid-term grades due by the faculty on Wednesday 03/20/24 at 5:00 PM.
You go to go to http://www.citiprogram.org/ to complete your training.
- Read Kapp and Anderson (2010) Chapters 03 and 04
- Complete W-03 A-02 for Kapp and Anderson (2010) chapter(s) 03 and 04
- Complete A-03: CITI Research Ethics and Compliance Training
- Make two replies across any of the three forums: Chapter Discussion Questions, Examples of Informed Consent, Published Program Evaluations